MIDDLEBURY — Athletes from Middlebury, Mount Abraham and Vergennes union high schools won events at a meet hosted by the MUHS team on Wednesday at Middlebury College.
In all, athletes from 13 teams attended the event, which MUHS coach Bill Edson decided to call “The Last Chance Meet” because it is the last meet of the regular season before this weekend’s formal state qualifying meet at Essex, and consequently the last chance to qualify for the postseason.
Edson said the college track was also a lure.
“Given that the Dragone Track and Field complex at Middlebury College is one of the best facilities in the region, coaches love to come and give their athletes one more shot at qualifying or improving their seeding (for the upcoming state meets),” he said.
Mount Abe junior Cassie Marion was the only local double winner in individual events, taking both the girls’ long and triple jumps. Eagle junior Ben Smith won the 300-meter hurdles.
VUHS junior Jacob Firlik nearly duplicated Marion’s feat, winning the boys’ long jump and finishing a close second in the triple jump. VUHS, like Fair Haven, did not send all of its athletes, and some Eagles did not compete. Some coaches and athletes may have chosen to wait for Essex this Saturday.
The Tigers fielded close to a full team and won more events. On the girls’ side, senior Ashley Hickey set a personal best in winning at 200 meters, sophomore Emily Anderson won the 1,500 meters, junior Christine Artim won the 3,000, junior Jasmine Blodgett won the pole vault, and the quartet of senior Hilary Swift, junior Rosalie Wright-Lapin, Hickey and Anderson won the 4X400 relay.
Edson also said Hickey was recently chosen to represent Vermont in the first annual Twin-State track meet this summer. She will run the 200, but will also be considered for the sprint relays.
On the boys’ side, junior Adam Peterson won the pole vault, and the 4X800 relay team of juniors Neil and Stuart Guertin and Ethan Roy and freshman James Hare prevailed.
The Tiger girls posted the best team results, taking second with 107.5 points behind Harwood (195.75), U-32 (89), Mount Abe (81.75), Fair Haven (47) and VUHS (10) followed.
Harwood (214) also won the boys’ competition, followed by U-32 (109.75), MUHS (81.75), Mount Abe (45.75), Fair Haven (37.75), VUHS (37) and West Rutland (14).
Local female athletes posting top-six finishes and scoring points for their teams were:
• 4X800 relay: 2. MUHS (Elise Biette, Kelly Covey, Artim, Swift).
• 100 hurdles: 5. Emily Byers, MUHS.
• 100: 2. Sylvia Sword, MAU; 5. Alexa Clarisse, MUHS; 6. Alexis Doria, MUHS.
• 1,500: 1. Anderson, MUHS, 5:11.28; 3. Nicole Morris, MUHS; 5. Megan Ogden, MAU; 6. Carrie Stearns, MUHS.
• 4X100: 2. MUHS (Clarisse, Nina Edson, Wright-Lapin, Hickey).
• 400: 3. Lily Haigis, VUHS.
• 300 hurdles: 3. Sarah Selby, MAU; 5. Isabel Hamilton, VUHS.
• 800: 6. Ellen Watkins, VUHS.
• 200: 1. Hickey, MUHS, 27.14.
• 3,000: 1. Artim, 11:05.06; 4. C. Ogden, MAU; 6. M. Ogden, MAU.
• Shot put: 5. Cathy Paquette, MUHS.
• Javelin: 4. Brooke Lossman, MAU.
• Long jump: 1. Marion, MAU, 16-3.
• Triple jump: 1. Marion, MAU, 35-1; 2. S. Sword, MAU; 3. Byers, MUHS; 4. Brynna-Lee Carper, MAU.
• High jump: 2. Becky Johnston, MAU; 3. Mira Atherton, MUHS; 6. Mariah Clark, MAU.
• Pole vault: 1. Blodgett, MUHS, 8-6; 2. Wright-Lapin, MUHS; 4. Lossman and Sarah Selby, MAU.
• 4X400: 1. MUHS, 4:22.30 (Swift, Anderson, Wright-Lapin, Hickey); 3, MUHS B (Biette, Rachel Getz, Edson, Morris).
Local male athletes posting top-six finishes and scoring points for their teams were:
• 4X800 relay: 1. MUHS, 9:41.68 (N. Guertin, Hare, S. Guertin, Roy); 3. MAU (Kevin Sword, Tyler Jewett, Ryan Conant, Eric Monzel).
• 110 hurdles; 4. Elliot Franklin, MUHS; 5. Jarrod Ashley, MUHS.
• 1,500: 6. S. Guertin, MUHS.
• 400: 4. Asa Learmonth, MAU; 5. Jack DeVos, VUHS.
• 300 hurdles: 1. Smith, MAU, 46:08; 4. Franklin, MUHS; 5. Ashley, MUHS.
• 800: 2. Roy, MUHS; 6. David Clancy, VUHS.
• 200: 3. DeVos, VUHS; 6. Nick Symulah, VUHS.
• 3,000: 3. Yoann Gorostiaga, MUHS; 5. N. Guertin, MUHS.
• Shot put: 4. Logan Rotax, MAU.
• Javelin: 6. Logan Rotax, MAU.
• Long jump: 1. Firlik, VUHS, 18-8.5; 3. DeVos, VUHS, 17-9; 5. Smith, MAU.
• Triple jump: 2. Firlik, VUHS, 38-6.5; 3. Dan Boucher, MUHS; 4. DeVos, VUHS; 6. Austin Beamish, VUHS.
• High jump: 2. Akeem Pottinger, MUHS; 5. Nick Earle, MAU, and Micah Lynch, MUHS.
• Pole vault: 1. Peterson, MUHS, 9-0; 3. Grant Baker, MAU; 4. Garth Wilson, MAU.
• 4x400: 2. MUHS (Peterson, Tenzin Chopel, Pottinger, Roy); 3. MAU (Malcolm Plunkett, Learmonth, Cam Skerritt-Perta, Smith).