VERGENNES — Vergennes police cited a 34-year-old Bridport man for driving under the influence of alcohol on June 30 after he allegedly spun his car’s tires, raced its engine and rapidly accelerated at a downtown city intersection.
Police said they spotted Shawn Gero perform those actions at the intersection of School and South Water streets, and then pulled him over. After observing signs of alcohol use police performed roadside and office tests of Gero’s blood-alcohol content.
When Gero’s BAC tested at 0.083, just over the legal limit for driving, at the station police cited him for DUI.
In other incidents between June 25 and July 1, Vergennes police:
• On June 25 asked a car owner to move it because it was poorly parked at a Main Street apartment building.
• On June 25 backed up Vermont State Police at a domestic dispute on Round Barn Farm Road in Ferrisburgh.
• On June 27 went to Weybridge to pick up a teen who had been a passenger in a high-speed pursuit that began in Panton.
• On June 27 ticketed for unsafe passing a car that was reported to have been running cars off the road on Route 7 in Ferrisburgh.
• On June 27 handled a minor two-car accident on South Water Street.
• On June 27 and 29 received tips about illegal drug activity in the area.
• On June 27 were told by a Main Street resident that a man had entered her apartment, cut her shirt off and groped her; an investigation revealed her story to be false.
• On June 28 checked a report of a person lying down on the Settlers Park boat ramp and discovered a man napping and nothing wrong.
• On June 28 cited Alexander Partelow, 20, of Burlington for speeding, possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, and consumption of alcohol by a minor after a West Main Street traffic stop.
• On June 29 checked a report of a man slumped behind a wheel on Green Street and discovered he was doing a traffic survey.
• On June 30 dealt with a noise complaint at a Hillside Drive apartment.
• On June 30 were told a vehicle had driven across the 1 Alden Place lawn.
• On June 30 took a report that a man’s wallet had been possibly stolen while he was at Champlain Farms.
• On June 30 went with the department canine to help Middlebury police in the Frog Hollow area; police said the dog alerted on a car in which marijuana and a substance believed to be heroin was found.
• On June 30 unsuccessfully tried to find a motorist who had driven off from Champlain Farms without paying for gas.
• On June 30 handled a minor two-car accident on Main Street.
• On June 30 helped VSP at the scene of a fight on Lake Street in Addison.
• On July 1 went to the city pool to help employees deal with boy who refused to get out of the water during a thunderstorm.
• On July 1 tried unsuccessfully to find a child in Department of Children and Families custody who left a parent’s home during an approved visit.