ADDISON COUNTY — On March 9 at a few minutes past 3 a.m. Vermont State Police were alerted to a vehicle off the roadway and in the woods off Route 7 south of Leicester Four Corners. Upon arrival troopers found a black Honda Civic registered to Bryan Humiston off the road with significant damage to the right rear of the car. Police considered the car a total loss.
The driver was not on scene.
Investigation of the crash led the officer to locate the driver, identified as Bryan Humiston, 32, of Leicester, at a residence in Brandon; Brandon police assisted. Humiston allegedly told police during an interview that he was texting while driving prior to losing control of his vehicle. Additionally, police said Humiston was under the influence of alcohol and was later processed for driving under the influence .
State police took this opportunity to remind motorists that texting while driving and driving under the influence are dangerous acts that can have both civil and criminal repercussions.
In other recent activity, troopers:
• On March 5 at 11:18 p.m. stopped a vehicle driven by Colin M. Bryne, 22, of Burlington on Route 22A in Panton and ended up citing him for possession of marijuana. Bryne was also processed for suspicion of driving under the influence of drugs; a blood test is pending.
• On March 6 at 6:37 p.m. responded to a single vehicle off the roadway at 557 Lincoln Road Gap Road in Lincoln. Police ended up citing the driver, identified as Howard L. Emerson, 31, of Northfield, for driving under the influence of alcohol and possession of marijuana.
• On March 6 received a report of the burglary of a residence on Mount Independence Road in Orwell. Various items and jewelry were reported stolen. The homeowner estimated that the burglary occurred between 10 a.m. and 9 p.m. that day. Anyone with information is asked to contact VSP at 388-4919. Information can also be submitted online at www.vtips.info or by texting “CRIMES” (274637) to Keyword: VTIPS.
• On March 7 received a report that someone had forced their way into a locked house on Gore Road in Starksboro and stolen copper piping. This incident is actively under investigation; anyone with information is encouraged to contact VSP.
• On March 7 at 10:10 p.m. responded to a one-car accident on Upper Notch Road in Bristol where, police said, Tyler W. Duval, 21, of Lincoln was driving westbound when he lost control of the 2001 Kia Reo he was driving, and the vehicle traveled off the icy road and hit a tree. Police said speed was a contributing factor, impairment was not. Duval, who was not wearing a seatbelt, suffered a non-incapacitating contusion to the head, and the Bristol Rescue Squad and Bristol Fire Department assisted at the scene. The collision is still under investigation.
• On March 9 at 12:51 a.m. were in Shoreham investigating a reported underage drinking party and observed a truck commit a traffic violation on Basin Harbor Road. Police attempted to stop the vehicle for a traffic violation and signaled it to stop, but it fled.
The next day troopers arrested a Cornwall 17-year-old for attempting to elude police and negligent driving stemming from the Basin Harbor Road incident.
• On March 9 received a report of a burglary at a home off Route 125 in Bridport. The homeowner told police that he had returned home from a trip and found his residence had been forcibly entered and various items of silver and other precious metals had been taken. Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact VSP.
• On March 9 at 8:12 p.m. stopped a motor vehicle that was traveling southbound on Route 7 at an excessive speed while passing other vehicles. Police cited Matthew J. Brady, 55, of Middlebury for speeding and careless and negligent driving.
• On March 9 at approximately 10:42 p.m. investigated a report of a domestic assault at a Shellhouse Mountain Road home in Ferrisburgh. Police arrested and cited Bruce A. Martell, 62, of Ferrisburgh for domestic assault and lodged him at the Chittenden County Correctional Center in lieu of $500 bail.