Playoff scheduling changes came in fast and furious on Wednesday, mostly made due to impending local high school graduations this weekend, but also made with an eye to less than ideal weather forecast for the next few days.
Some made it into our Thursday print edition: The No. 2 Otter Valley baseball team’s Division II quarterfinal vs. No. 7 Lake Region was moved from Friday to Thursday at 4:30 p.m. literally as we were sending copy to our printer. Another D-II baseball switch, that of the No. 4 Vergennes team’s quarterfinal from 4:30 on Friday to the same time on Saturday, arrived with plenty of time to spare.
Not so the word of the Mount Abe softball game change: We learned about two minute too late for publication the No. 8 Eagles’ D-II quarterfinal at No. 1 defending champion BFA-Fairfax had been switched from 4:30 on Friday to 4:30 on Thursday.
The other games are set as originally published, unless of course the weather doesn’t cooperate:
• The No. 2 Middlebury girls’ lacrosse team will host either No. 7 Mount Mansfield or No. 10 Rutland at 4 p.m. on Friday. It could be possible that game will be moved to Middlebury College’s turf field, but that is purely speculation at this point. But if fans show up at Fucile Field on Friday afternoon and don’t see anything, they might be advised to look over on Kohn Field.
• The No. 5 Tiger boys’ lacrosse team will trek to Brattleboro on Friday for a 7 p.m. date with the No. 4 Colonels.
• The No. 3 Commodore softball team will host No. 6 U-32 on Saturday at 4:30 p.m.
• If the No. 7 Otter Valley softball team holds serve against No. 10 Lake Region this afternoon, the Otters will travel to No. 2 Lyndon on Friday at 4:30 p.m.
• Finally, if the No. 12 VUHS boys’ lacrosse team upsets No. 5 U-32 today, the Commodores will visit Stowe at 4 p.m. on Friday.
The weather forecast means the schedule will be, so to speak, fluid. On the ball will update any further changes, and results and available details from the two Wednesday games will also be online.