George E. “Westy” West Jr.
SHOREHAM — George E. “Westy” West Jr., 83, died on April 5, 2008. He was born on July 29, 1924, in Milton, Mass., the son of George E. and Constance (Youngquist) West.
He attended Quincy schools, advancing to Tufts College, where he was enrolled in the ROTC program. He served in the Korean War as an ensign in the U.S. Navy, retiring as lieutenant commander. While at Tufts he met and married Shirley “Cookie” Heitman, a student of Jackson College and native of Shoreham.
They initially lived in Schenectady N.Y., then settled in Abington, Mass., to raise their children. He worked as a mechanical engineer at Stone and Webster in Boston, then at MIT. His became director of physical plant of Tufts University in Medford, Mass., and at Northfield Mount Herman School in Northfield, Mass.
They retired in 1991 to Shoreham, and spent their winters in Venice, Fla. According to family, his perfect day would include sailing on Quincy Bay or Lake Champlain, tending to his vegetable garden, solving a challenging problem and reciting United States history anecdotes to his captive family audience.
During his retirement, he was an active Masonic Lodge member, on the solid waste management committee, was a lister for the local assessor’s office and was a member of the Shoreham Congregational Church.
He is survived by his wife of 62 years; two daughters, Kathryn and her husband, John Ciovacco, of Schenectady, N.Y., Janis and her husband, Paul Donlan, of Abington, Mass.; a son, Steven and his wife Irene; eight grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; three sisters, Joycelynn Nelson of Nokomis, Fla, Helene Meehl of Abington, Mass., and Carol Marcello and her husband, Dr. David Marcello, of Marion, Mass.; and many nieces and nephews.
A service was held on Tuesday April 8, at the Shoreham Congregational Church, with Pastor Deborah Roy officiating. Future plans for a memorial service in Abington, Mass., his home of 30 years, will be scheduled in the late spring.
Memorial donations may be made to the Shoreham Congregational Church or the Town of Shoreham Flag Fund.
Simone P. Weaver
ST. JOHNSBURY — Simone P. Weaver, 89, died on Sunday, April 6, 2008, at the Dartmouth Medical Center in Lebanon, N.H. She was born in Paquetteville, PQ, Canada, on October 9, 1918, the daughter of Felic and Yvonne (Mangeau) Paquette.
She was married to Aubrey Weaver, who passed away in 1991.
She had her own fabric shop in Bristol for six years before moving to St. Johnsbury and opening Simone’s Fabric Shop. She was a member of the Garden Club, the TLC Club and Women’s Club of St. Johnsbury.
She is survived by her sons, David Weaver and wife, Joan, of Bristol, and Steven Weaver and wife, Laura, of St. Johnsbury; a daughter, Marjorie Gilbert and husband, Alan, of Washington; 13 grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren; and one great-great-grandchild.
She was predeceased by her sons, Aubrey Weaver Jr. and Charles Weaver; and her brothers, Regie, Oscar, Rodger, Lucien and Lawrence.
A memorial service will be held at a later date at the Greenwood Cemetery in Bristol.
Alice May (Aldrich) Sumner
MIDDLEBURY — Alice May (Aldrich) Sumner, 81, died Sunday, April 6, 2008, at Linda Billing’s home in Cornwall. She was born Aug. 27, 1926, in Hanover, N.H., the daughter of Leroy William and Alice (Johnson) Aldrich of Norwich.
She attended Norwich Grade School in Norwich, Hanover High School in Hanover, N.H.; and graduated from Castleton Normal School, (now called Castleton State College) in 1947. She taught elementary school in Springfield, South Ryegate and Cambridge.
She spent the summers of 1942-1944 at Poultney Religious Institute receiving accreditation for teaching and supervising Bible classes, and church camps. She taught Sunday school in Bristol, Norwich, and Middlebury, and Bible school in several towns for two summers under the auspices of the Vermont Church Council.
She was the supervisor at Kurn Hattin Home for Boys at Westminster for several months. She worked at Baker Library at Dartmouth College in Hanover, N.H., from 1953 through 1958, and Starr Library at Middlebury College in Middlebury from 1959 through 1989.
She married Leland D. (Sam) Sumner of Bristol on Aug. 30, 1958, in Norwich, and they moved to Middlebury in October 1958.
She was a member of the Grange, joining in 1943 in Norwich and transferring to Middlebury following her marriage. She transferred to Bridport when Middlebury gave up its charter. She was an officer for many of those years, and over 30 years as secretary.
She also belonged to the Rebekahs in Bristol, Middlebury and Vergennes and served as an officer in each of these groups.
According to friends, she enjoyed working with children and young people, reading to many of the children she babysat for, although she had none of her own. She was a faithful Red Sox fan since 1950 and also enjoyed Middlebury College hockey and some of the high school sports that were on the radio.
She is survived by only a few cousins and her late husband’s family.
She was predeceased by her only brother, Leroy, at an early age; her husband, and all her aunts and uncles.
Friends may call at Brown McClay Funeral Home in Bristol on Saturday from 10 a.m. up to hour of the funeral.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on Saturday, April 12, at Brown McClay Funeral Home in Bristol. Interment will be in Greenwood Cemetery in Bristol.
Memorial contributions may be made to Addison County Home Health and Hospice P.O. Box 754, Middlebury, VT 05753.
Langdon G. Smith
NEW HAVEN — Langdon G. Smith, 79, died April 4, 2008, surrounded by his family. He was born in New Haven on June 23, 1928, the son of Langdon T. Smith and Caroleen Keese Smith.
He grew up on the family farm. After his schooling he enlisted in the Air Force and served in Japan and Korea. Upon his return home in 1952 he married Jean Hurlburt. They raised their family on their Crest-O-Hill farm in New Haven.
He was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. According to family he had a great interest in archaeology, especially Native American artifacts, and was a popular speaker for students and community groups; he was given the name “Chief Wanna-Talk-A-Lot.” He also enjoyed hunting, visiting with people and being outdoors.
He is survived by his wife; his children, Lanny, Maralee, Mark, Karen, and Stephen; five grandchildren; and four great- grandchildren; a brother, Charles; a sister, Edith; and a sister-in-law Pat.
A service of remembrance was held on Tuesday, April 8, at Latter Day Saints Chapel in Middlebury.
Memorial contributions may be made to the New Haven Fire Department, New Haven, VT 05472.
RUTLAND — William Arthur Pratt passed away at his home in Rutland on Saturday, April 5, 2008. He was born in Rutland, Jan. 30, 1920, the younger son of Arthur H. and Ella Belle (Rogers) Pratt.
He received his Bachelor of Science degree in 1941 from the University of Vermont, where he was elected in his senior year into the Boulder Society. During the accelerated years of World War II, in 1943 he earned his M.D. from the University’s College of Medicine.
He interned the next year at the Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital in Hanover, N.H., before joining the U.S. Army Medical Corps, where he served as a captain from 1944-1946, including one and a half years in Manila, Philippine Islands.
As a fellow in pathology, he completed his residency in 1948 at the Mary Fletcher Hospital in Burlington and obtained a master’s degree in basic science and internal medicine in 1949 from the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Medicine.
Opening his private practice in internal medicine in Rutland in 1949, he shared office space with his older brother, obstetrician Henry Lewis Pratt. At that time, and for approximately the next twenty years, he was the only board certified internist in Rutland County.
Subspecializing in cardiovascular disease, he founded the Associates in Internal Medicine (A.I.M.) in 1971. At the time of his retirement in 1991, this group included two physicians who had been with A.I.M. since its inception. From 1950 to 1971, he was an instructor in clinical medicine at the University of Vermont’s College of Medicine.
As a member of the Rutland Regional Medical Center from 1949-1991, he served terms as chief of medicine and president of the hospital staff, as well as on various hospital committees. During this period, he was also co-founder and president of the Vermont State Heart Association.
His professional memberships included the American Medical Association, the American Society of Internal Medicine (Past President), a fellow and life member of the American College of Physicians, American College of Cardiology, Vermont State Medical Society, Rutland County Medical Society, Board of Directors of Blue Cross/Blue Shield of New Hampshire/Vermont, and the Rutland Area Doctors/Lawyers.
When in Rutland High School, he developed his life-long interest in tennis, under the coaching of history teacher Ellery Purdy. Among his victories in this sport was that of State Champion.
Later in life, he added golf to his athletic pursuits; in 1962 he and his partner, Robert Sawyer of Woodstock, won the Rutland Country Club’s Pierce Tournament. In 1979, he co-authored, with Keith Jennison, “Year Around Conditioning for Part-time Golfers” (Atheneum).
From 1949 to 1991, he was a member of the Rutland Chamber of Commerce, serving in the Live Wire Club (including a term as its president); a member of the Rutland Lions Club; the Rutland Country Club (1950-2001, serving one term as president); on the board of the Friends of the Rutland Free Library; a trustee of Green Mountain College in Poultney; and an active member of SPEBQOA (Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barbershop Quartets of America). He was interested in politics and long a supporter of the Republican Party.
After his retirement from medical practice, he served as a substitute teacher in Rutland High School and Stafford Technical School, as well as a weekly reader at Northeast Elementary School. He was the founder of Rutland’s R.O.M.E.O. (Retired Old Men Eating Out) Wednesday luncheon group.
In 2002, he received the Vermont Medical Society’s Physician of the Year Award for Community Service for his outstanding contributions.
He is survived by his wife, Margaret (Peggy) Smith Pratt, daughter of Esme A.C. and Marion (Ballou) Smith, whom he married in 1951. He is also survived by seven children: Randall and his wife, Nancy; Karen and her partner, Elizabeth Hirsch; (Keith) Siri Vishnu Singh Khalsa and his wife, Sat Kirin Kaur; Dale and her friend, Richard Paine; Dianne; Douglas and his wife, Ina; and Jeffrey and his wife, Kimberly, of New Haven. Other surviving family members include ten grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, a niece, and two nephews and their families, and several Addison County cousins. He is survived as well by his sister-in-law, Elizabeth A.C. Smith.
They send special thanks to Caregivers from AT HOME Senior Care and from the Rutland Area Visiting Nurses and Hospice (RAVNAH). Appreciation is extended to all his physicians, especially those of his primary care, Dr. David Tager and Dr. Michael Robertello.
Remembrances in his name may be made to RAVNAH, P.O. Box 787, Rutland, VT 05702-0787; the United Methodist Church, 71 Williams St., Rutland, VT 05701; or the UVM College of Medicine, Given Building, 89 Beaumont Ave., Burlington, VT 05405-0068.
A memorial service will be held at a later date, in the United Methodist Church in Rutland.
Tossing Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
The Rev. Arthur C. Parker
BRANDON — The Rev. Arthur C. Parker, 62, died February 25, 2008, at the home of his son in Guilford, N.H., while recovering from back surgery.
He served as rector of St. Thomas and Grace Episcopal churches in Brandon and Forestdale from 1977 until June 1986. His late wife Juanita taught at Otter Valley Union High School for many years. His only son Stacey grew up in Brandon.
His career as a priest took him from here to Chelsea, as director of Brookhaven Home for Boys. He afterwards served as the rector at St. Marks Episcopal Church in Adams, Mass., until moving to Clarendon Hill, Ill., where he was the parish priest at the Holy Nativity Episcopal Church.
During his tenure at Church of the Holy Nativity his wife succumbed to cancer in October 2005. He retired August 2006 following 30 years as an ordained priest. According to family he was expecting to get back to his RV and Harley motorcycle.
He is survived by one son, Stacey Parker, and his wife, Kimberly, of Guilford, N.H.; two grandchildren; a brother, Donald Parker of Salisbury, N.H; two nephews and three nieces.
A memorial service will be held on April 12, 2008, at 2 p.m. at St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Brandon. The Rev. Lee Ferry, interim rector, will officiate. A reception will follow in the church undercroft following the service.
Leslie C. Larrow
FERRISBURGH — Leslie C. Larrow, 95, a lifelong resident of Ferrisburgh, died on April 6, 2008, at the home of his son Bill and family, where he resided the last 3 years. He was born in Ferrisburgh on June 3, 1912, the son of William and Bertha (Graves) Larrow.
He attended the one room Gage Schoolhouse and graduated from Vergennes High School. After graduation, his life was spent operating the family dairy farm until his retirement.
According to family, he enjoyed baseball, vegetable gardening, and taking a break from his farming chores to fish on Otter Creek or ice fish at Red Gate, and he had a passion for harness racing.
He was the oldest living member of the Ferrisburgh Grange, which he joined in 1940, a member of the Farm Bureau, and the Ferrisburgh Methodist Church.
He is survived by his three children; Bill and his wife, Karen, of Ferrisburgh, Joanne and her husband, Jerry Mullin, of North Ferrisburgh, and Jane and her husband, Ronald Nimblett, of Waltham; eight grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren; and a half-sister, Vida Beach.
He was predeceased by his wife, Helen, of 45 years; his sister, Lillian; and his half-brother, Rollin.
Funeral services were celebrated on Thursday, April 10, at the Ferrisburgh Methodist Church. The burial will follow at the Gage Cemetery on Little Chicago Road.
Memorial contributions can be made to Project Independence or Addison County Home Health and Hospice.