VERGENNES — Vergennes police twice dealt with a drunken Bristol man in the early morning hours of Sept. 14, and the second time they issued him a citation for unlawful mischief.
Police first made contact with Daniel Fleming, 34, at about 12:45 a.m. after they were flagged down by an employee of the City Limits nightclub. The employee told them Fleming had been asked to leave the bar because he was drunk, and that bar employees suspected Fleming of taking a decorative fountain from the tavern’s entrance.
When police found Fleming, he alleged he had been robbed, a story that police said two people with Fleming said they doubted was true. Police told Fleming, who did not have possession of the fountain, to find a place to sleep it off.
At about 2:15 a.m., another individual said a man had just trashed a South Maple Street apartment. Vergennes police went to the scene and found, they alleged, that Fleming had damaged the premises and property there. At that point they cited him for unlawful mischief.
In other incidents between Sept. 10 and 16, Vergennes police:
• On Sept. 10 were told by public works personnel that they found syringes in the Canal Street area; police and public works employees worked together to clean up the area and dispose of the syringes.
• On Sept. 10 accepted unused prescription drugs for destruction from a city resident.
• On Sept. 11 looked into the theft of nine gallons of diesel fuel from the National Guard Armory compound on Monkton Road.
• On Sept. 11 cited Kyle Little, 25, of Starksboro for a criminal count of driving with a suspended license and for possession of marijuana, actions taken following a West Main Street traffic stop.
• On Sept. 12 directed traffic around a vehicle disabled at the intersection of Route 7 and New Haven Road, an action taken on behalf of Vermont State Police.
• On Sept. 12 calmed a family fight on a South Maple Street sidewalk.
• On Sept. 13 cited Israel Provencher, 29, of Vergennes for driving under the influence of alcohol after stopping his car for failing to stop at the intersection of South Water and School streets.
• On Sept. 13 checked a report of a fight that had just been broken up at the corner of Monkton Road and Main Street, but found no one.
• On Sept. 13 were told a woman had received six hang-up calls from the same unknown number the day before.
• On Sept. 13 backed up VSP on Route 7 while they arrested a man wanted on a domestic assault charge in Chittenden County.
• On Sept. 14 checked a report of a South Maple Street man who had possibly overdosed on pills and alcohol; he was taken to Fletcher Allen Health Care for observation.
• On Sept. 15 backed up VSP during a DUI arrest on Route 7.
• On Sept. 15 dealt with a minor two-car accident on Monkton Road.
• On Sept. 15 arrested Wayne Russell, 36, of Schenectady, N.Y., on an outstanding Chittenden County warrant for simple assault, unlawful mischief and escape, and lodged him at the Chittenden County Correctional Center. Police said they spotted Russell leaving a wedding reception at the Vergennes Opera House, and that they had to restrain him when he became aggressive during the arrest.
• On Sept. 16 backed up VSP during a DUI arrest on Panton Road in Panton.
• On Sept. 16 helped the Vergennes Area Rescue Squad at a medical call in Waltham.
• On Sept. 16 cited Michael Cobb, 47, of Vergennes for retail theft. Police allege that Cobb stuffed a beer down his pants at the Small City Market and left the store without paying.
• On Sept. 16 calmed a family fight at a Hillside Acres apartment.