MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police helped reunite a disoriented elderly woman with her family on Thursday, Dec. 6.
Police said a passerby brought the woman into the Middlebury Inn after she had allegedly stepped in front of a car. The woman’s status was confirmed a short time later when authorities received a 911 call from a woman who reported her elderly mother was missing. A family member came in to collect the woman.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Assisted the Counseling Service of Addison County in the involuntarily committal of a patient on Dec. 4.
• Were informed of the theft of some gold and silvery jewelry from a Twin Circles residence on Dec. 4.
• Took into protective custody a very drunk man who had been hanging around the Elm Street area on Dec. 5. Police said they measured the man’s blood-alcohol content at 0.179 percent. For comparison, the legal limit for driving is 0.08 percent.
• Received a report of a vehicle-deer collision on Quarry Road on Dec. 5. The deer was killed and its remains given to the driver, according to police.
• Were informed on Dec. 5 of the theft of some ice cleats from Martin’s Hardware on Dec. 5. Police are reviewing a store videotape of the theft in hopes of catching the culprit.
• Assisted a local woman who said she was being harassed by a man on Dec. 5.
• Responded to a reported dispute between some East Main Street residents on Dec. 5. Police said the dispute involved the two neighbors’ respective dogs, who had been fighting.
• Investigated a report of an alleged assault of a man at an Airport Road residence on Dec. 5.
• Investigated a domestic dispute that occurred between a couple traveling down Route 7 South on Dec. 6.
• Received a report about an alleged transaction of illegal drugs at a downtown Middlebury location on Dec. 6. Police are investigating the matter.
• Assisted a woman who said she was threatened by a man at the Ilsley Library on Dec. 7. The woman had made a previous complaint about the man, described as being a white male, almost 6 feet tall, stocky with long, dark curly hair whose attire included large round glasses and a tweed coat.
• Issued Court Diversion paper work to a youth with a fake New Jersey identification card at the Middlebury Short Stop on Court Street on Dec. 7.
• Were informed of the theft of a bag of corned beef brisket and a wine cooler from Shaw’s Supermarket on Washington Street on Dec. 8.
• Assisted a local woman who had been receiving unwanted advances from a man on Dec. 8. Police warned the man not to contact the woman.
• Ticketed a very drunk young woman for underage drinking after she was taken to Porter Hospital for treatment on Dec. 9.
• Responded to a report of a loud party at a Middlebury College social house on South Main Street on Dec. 9. Police said they also stood by as the students swept up the remnants of some bottles they had smashed in the roadway.
• Served a no-trespass order on two men who were not wanted on an Upper Plains Road resident’s property on Dec. 9.
• Got counseling help for a woman who had threatened to harm herself on Dec. 9.
• Responded to a report of a Counseling Service of Addison County client being aggressive to staff in the Birchard Park area on Dec. 9.
• Assisted a woman who was receiving harassing phone calls from her ex-boyfriend on Dec. 9.