VERGENNES — Vergennes police are still trying to identify the driver of a vehicle that fled from them on a snowy Friday night, but that they later tracked down in Middlebury.
At about 11:30 p.m. on Feb. 21, Vergennes police pulled over a car that failed to stop at the downtown traffic light. When police got out of the cruiser to speak to the driver, the car took off southbound on Green Street toward Route 17.
In part due to road conditions, police said they could not catch the car on its way toward Weybridge and Middlebury. But they looked in Middlebury for the car and found it parked on North Pleasant Street.
Police said they have talked to residents of the neighborhood and also reviewed security camera footage from the City Limits nightclub in an effort to ID the driver, and as of earlier this week the investigation was ongoing.
In other incidents between Feb. 17 and 23, Vergennes police:
• On Feb. 17 issued a ticket to a car violating the city’s on-street wintertime parking ban.
• On Feb. 17 picked up and took home a man reported to be in distress and walking around the Panton Road/West Main Street area.
• On Feb. 17 dealt with a minor two-car accident at Vergennes Union High School.
• On Feb. 17 found the operator of a snowmobile that had struck and damaged a water pipe on a High Street lawn, and arranged for him to pay for the repair.
• On Feb. 18 responded to minor two-car accidents at the intersection or Park and Main streets and in the Kinney Drug Store parking lot; in the latter accident, police are looking for a driver who left the scene.
• On Feb. 19 helped a motorist get into her locked car.
• On Feb. 19 took a report about a Feb. 15 accident.
• On Feb. 19 stood by while a former Green Street resident picked up belongings from an apartment there.
• On Feb. 20 cited Elizabeth Steggerda, 30, of Bristol for driving under the influence of alcohol; police issued the citation after stopping her car on Monkton Road when the department’s license plate reader indicated its owner had a suspended license.
• On Feb. 20 ticketed and ordered towed a car in violation of the city’s on-street wintertime parking ban.
• On Feb. 21 issued a civil ticket for marijuana and paraphernalia possession after a Monkton Road traffic stop for defective equipment.
• On Feb. 22 took a report of an earlier minor hit-and-run accident in Vergennes.
• On Feb. 22 helped a car owner get into a locked vehicle at VUHS.
• On Feb. 22 issued a civil ticket for alcohol possession by a minor to a Northlands Job Corps student.
• On Feb. 23 cited Stephen A. Davis, 41, of Vergennes for driving with a suspended license, civil offense, after a North Main Street stop.