Middlebury Police Log: Police probe an assault and attempted theft
MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police during the afternoon of Aug. 17 responded to a reported assault and attempted theft of a wallet at the Village Center shopping plaza at 40 Court St.
Police said a man, accompanied by a woman, was accosted in the parking lot by another man who had rushed toward him demanding his wallet. Police said the suspect tried to reach into the victim’s back pocket in an effort to steal his wallet. Police said the victim’s companion went to assist him and was in turn assaulted by the assailant’s accomplice.
The two suspects fled the scene, according to police, after which the victims received medical attention for minor injuries.
Authorities spotted a car the next day that the victims had identified as belonging to their assailants. Police have identified the pair and continue to investigate the allegations.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Investigated a report of a person driving with a suspended license on Washington Street on Aug. 17.
• Revived, with the use of Narcan, a man who had overdosed on opiates at the Courtyard by Marriott Hotel on Aug. 18. Police said they were originally called to the address on a report of a family fight.
• Responded to a report of a vehicle leaving the scene of an accident on Washington Street on Aug. 18.
• Responded to a reported family fight at a Jackson Lane home on Aug. 18.
• Checked the welfare of a man who had been feeling despondent on Aug. 18.
• Were informed of a theft from a vehicle that had been parked off Mill Street on Aug. 18.
• Assisted Middlebury Regional Emergency Medical Services (MREMS) with a woman who had injured her head in the Jayne Court area on Aug. 18.
• Received a “large basket” of hypodermic needles that a person had found while cleaning a home storage unit off Elm Street on Aug. 19.
• Obtained two no-trespass orders on Aug. 19 that will be served on two Courtyard by Marriott guests that are no longer wanted at the establishment.
• Responded to a report of a vehicle leaving the scene of an accident on Industrial Avenue on Aug. 19.
• Responded to an assault complaint near the Frank Mahady Courthouse on Aug. 19. Police said what started out as a shouting match between two women devolved into a physical confrontation, including the exchange of punches. Police said a few onlookers broke up the fight and one of the women left. Both women had been at the courthouse for a child custody issue, according to police. The case is still under investigation.
• Responded to a report of a patient allegedly threatening a Porter Hospital employee on Aug. 21. Police believe the patient was having a mental health crisis.
• Received a report on Aug. 21 from the Middlebury National Foods Co-op about someone posting White Nationalist paperwork in and around the store around a week ago.
• Responded to a motor vehicle accident, with minor injuries, on Route 7 South on Aug. 21.
• Served a no-trespass order on Aug. 21 on a person who was not wanted at a Route 7 South location.
• Assisted MREMS with a call in the Buttolph Drive neighborhood on Aug. 21.
• Investigated the reported theft of an excavator bucket from the side of Shannon Street, near Weybridge Street, on Aug. 20.
• Were informed of a speeding motorcycle on Court Street on Aug. 22. Police said they were unable to find the motorcycle.
• Conducted a sex offender registry check at a local home on Aug. 22.
• Responded to a reported burglary at a Route 7 North residence on Aug. 22. Police said the homeowners came home from an outing and found that someone had entered the abode and stolen clothing and some change.
• Responded to a report of a dispute between some Case Street neighbors on Aug. 23.
• Were informed of a theft from a Maple Court residence on Aug. 23.
• Investigated a domestic disturbance in the Valley View neighborhood on Aug. 23.