Vergennes Police Log for Feb. 6
VERGENNES — During special traffic details last week Vergennes police issued tickets that totaled more than $19,500 in fines to two trucking companies for overweight vehicles.
The first ticket came during a Jan. 28 patrol on Panton Road. Police issued two tickets, one ticket for a commercial motor vehicle overweight violation for $10,052 and another for $220 for failure to obtain an overweight permit.
On Jan. 30 on Monkton Road city police issued another pair of tickets, one for $9,017 for an overweight violation and the second for $220 for the failure to obtain an overweight permit.
During other special traffic details around the city last week Vergennes police ticketed five drivers and warned three.
Police also between Jan. 27 and Feb. 2 ticketed eight vehicles left overnight on city streets in violation of the city’s wintertime parking ban.
In other action during those seven days, Vergennes police:
On Jan. 28:
• Conducted a background check on a local resident on behalf of another agency.
• Helped a motorist get into a locked vehicle on East Street.
• Helped Vermont State Police by looking into an alarm activation in Panton.
On Jan. 29:
• Assisted the driver of disabled tractor-trailer truck on Main Street, and in the process learned the person’s driver’s license was under suspension and ticketed the driver.
• At the station assisted Vermont State Police with a combative female who was arrested for impaired driving and then allegedly assaulted two troopers and two city officers and is being charged for the offense by VSP. City police said state police brought her to the station for evaluation for drug-impaired driving but she refused to cooperate and then assaulted four officers. State police lodged her in Chittenden County. State police identified the woman as 31-year-old Erica Fitzgerald of Salisbury.
On Jan. 30 were told a woman’s ex-boyfriend had stolen her cellphone after a breakup; police called him, and phone was returned.
On Jan. 31:
• Helped a motorist get into a locked vehicle on Second Street.
• Ticketed a motorist on Route 22A in Panton for driving with a suspended license.
• Assisted Vermont State Police with processing an impaired driver on South Water Street and at the station.
On Feb. 1:
• Looked on Route 7 in Ferrisburgh for a man reported to be staggering as he walked north the highway; police could not find him.
• Checked the welfare of a Walker Avenue resident, who was determined to be fine.
On Feb. 2:
• Went to North Pleasant Street in Middlebury to help Middlebury police with a violent person who was wanted on a warrant; the individual was arrested and lodged, but the Vergennes officer sustained an injury during the arrest that could cause him to miss a couple days of work.
• Participated in an impaired driving checkpoint on Route 116 in Bristol; one driver was screened.