Vermont State Police Log: Snow day leads to crashes, injuries
ADDISON COUNTY — Heavy snowfall this past Thursday, Jan. 16, resulted in some traffic crashes that kept Vermont State Police busy in Addison County. Police reported that roads were snow-covered and slippery that morning, resulting in a couple crashes that sent more than a dozen people to hospitals.
At approximately 5:30 a.m. that day state police were notified of a vehicle roll over on Route 22A near Brown Road in Shoreham. Firefighters from Shoreham, Orwell and Middlebury also responded, along with rescue squads from Middlebury, Benson and Vergennes.
State police report that Jolaina Pizarro, 24, of Syracuse, N.Y., was driving a 2016 Ford Transit van with 13 passengers northbound on Route 22A at approximately 50 mph. Pizarro told police she lost control of her vehicle and it left the road and rolled several times.
The van was totaled as a result of the collision and Pizarro sustained a minor shoulder injury and was taken to Porter Hospital, police said. Two passengers sustained injuries that required a transfer from Porter to UVM. Twelve passengers sustained minor injuries and were released from Porter.
Speed and road conditions were contributing factors in the collision, troopers said. No court action was taken but police said a civil violation was pending.
Later, at a few minutes after 6 a.m., troopers responded to a report of a tractor-trailer crash on Route 17 West near Route 125 in Addison. The truck had slid off the road and overturned just east of the Champlain Bridge. Police closed the road to through traffic because downed power lines blocked the roadway.
Police said their preliminary investigation indicated that Lisa Smith, 38, of Milton was driving a 2019 Freightliner truck eastbound on Route 17, attempting to negotiate the curve when the tractor-trailer slid off the road, struck a utility pole and overturned onto its right side. The utility pole broke, bringing down utility cables. Multiple residents and businesses along this section of Route 17 were without power for awhile.
The Bristol Rescue Squad took Smith to UVM Medical Center for evaluation.
This crash remains under investigation. Police said they don’t expect to take court action.
In other recent action, troopers:
• On Jan. 14 announced that Florida police had arrested a man wanted on sex charges involving a child in Lincoln, Vt. Authorities began investigation on Dec. 28 when Vermont State Police were notified of a complaint involving lewd or lascivious conduct with a child and luring.
Detectives conducted multiple interviews and otherwise investigated and police said they determined that Walter Hutton, 35, of Palm Harbor, Fla., had committed several crimes in Lincoln. Hutton had returned to Florida and police got an arrest warrant from the Vermont Superior Court. On Jan. 13 Pinellas County (Fla.) Sheriff’s deputies arrested Hutton without incident. Vermont authorities have started the process to extradite him to Vermont to face charges of lewd and lascivious conduct with a child and luring a child.
• On Jan. 16 at approximately 8:50 p.m. were dispatched to the report of a family disturbance at a Hunt Farm Road home in Bristol. Police said that through investigation they learned that Dean Bushee, 22, of Bristol had engaged in tumultuous and threatening behavior directed toward a household member. Police took Bushee into custody, transported him to the New Haven barracks to cite him for disorderly conduct. Due to his level of intoxication, police took Bushee to the Marble Valley Regional Correctional Center, where was held until sober.
Vermont State Police were assisted on scene by Bristol police.
The New Haven barracks of the Vermont State Police issues a daily log listing a few of their calls without much detail. Recent logs include:
• Jan. 14, 1:36 p.m., citizen assist, Murray Road, Whiting.
• Jan. 14, 3:54 p.m., suspicious person or circumstance, Vaughn Court, Monkton.
• Jan. 14, 6:31 p.m., suspicious person or circumstance, Route 7, New Haven.
• Jan. 14, 10:33 p.m., agency assist, Exchange Street, Middlebury.
• Jan. 15, 10:09 a.m., larceny, Route 7 at West Salisbury Road, Salisbury.
• Jan. 15, 5:25 p.m., motor vehicle disturbances, Route 22A just south of Addison Four Corners, Addison.
• Jan. 15, 6:01 p.m., welfare check, Shard Villa Road, Salisbury.
• Jan. 15, 9:46 p.m., citizen assist, Route 7 at state police barracks, New Haven.
• Jan. 16, 11:06 a.m., citizen assist, Monkton Ridge, Monkton.
• Jan. 16, 1:08 p.m., welfare check, Shard Villa Road, Salisbury.
• Jan. 17, 11:20 a.m., breaking and entering/burglary, South Middlebrook Road, Ferrisburgh.
• Jan. 17, 4:16 p.m., threatening, Morgan Road, Salisbury.
• Jan. 17, 9:58 p.m., motor vehicle disturbances, Route 7 at Dakin Road, Ferrisburgh.
• Jan. 18, 12:24 a.m., traffic hazard, Route 125, Cornwall.
• Jan. 19, 12:58 p.m., citizen assist, Weybridge Road, Weybridge.
• Jan. 19, 1:09 p.m., accident with damage, Route 17, Starksboro.
• Jan. 19, 4:39 p.m., welfare check, Lemon Fair Road, Cornwall.
• Jan. 19, 4:59 p.m., citizen dispute, Route 116 North, Bristol.
• Jan. 19, 7:55 p.m., family disturbance, Mason Hill North, Starksboro.