State officials seek your help in promoting recreation

VERMONT — With its four seasons, mountains, rivers, lakes and millions of acres of forests and fields, Vermont is a playground for outdoor enthusiasts locally and beyond. The Vermont Department of Forests, Parks, and Recreation and the Center for Rural Studies at the University of Vermont are seeking input from Vermonters to help capitalize on these natural assets and deliver facilities and programs that make it easy for people to enjoy the outdoors.

From Aug. 12 through Sept. 9, Vermonters are invited to participate in a survey to help shape the future of outdoor recreation in Vermont. The survey will inform Vermont’s next Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan. The plan, known as SCORP, enables Vermont’s recreation and planning professionals to prioritize outdoor recreation investments and secure federal funding for municipal and state recreation projects. As demographics, outdoor trends, and interests change, a new plan every five years identifies outdoor recreation strategies that help to address societal needs and desires.

To assist with outdoor recreation, land acquisition, development and planning at the state level, the Federal Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) program offers grants to states that can, in turn, award grants to municipalities. Maintaining a current SCORP is required in order to qualify for the funding. Since 1965, more than $31 million in LWCF funding has been granted to Vermont.

Vermonters may take the survey online — head to — or request a paper copy by calling 802-598-4551 or emailing Individuals are also invited to provide input on the SCORP at one of two public forums being hosted by the Department of Forest, Parks and Recreation:

• Monday, Aug. 19, at Brattleboro Fire Station, Brattleboro, 6-8 p.m.

• Tuesday, Aug. 27, at Thatcher Brook School Gym, Waterbury, 6-8 p.m.

Contact Amy Kelsey at UVM’s Center for Rural Studies, or 802-598-4551, or Jessica Savage, Recreation Program Manager at Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation, or 802-249-1230 with questions about the SCORP or this research

Login for Subscriber Access

Addison County Independent

58 Maple Street
Middlebury, VT 05753

Phone: 802.388.4944
Fax: 802.388.3100