Vergennes Police Log: Traffic stop draws arrest and a citation
VERGENNES — After a recent West Main Street traffic stop, Vergennes police ended up arresting one New York resident and citing another on drug charges.
City police said that on Saturday they stopped a car on West Main Street for allegedly traveling 44 mph in a 30 mph zone, and smelled the odor of marijuana when they approached the vehicle. The driver and passenger declined a request to search the car, but police obtained a warrant and said they found 15.5 grams of Ecstasy, 22.5 grams of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.
Vergennes police then arrested the driver, Brandon McGinn, 18, of Delmar, N.Y.; charged him with possession of Ecstasy; and lodged him in the Chittenden County Correctional Center for lack of $5,000 bail. They cited the passenger, Maxwell Sullivan, 20, of Delmar, N.Y., for possession of marijuana and ticketed him for possession of paraphernalia.
In other incidents between April 6 and 12, Vergennes police:
• On April 6 responded to a First Street trespassing complaint and discovered it was a civil dispute.
• On April 6 helped Vermont State Police at a one-car crash on Route 7 in Ferrisburgh.
• On April 7 dealt with a minor two-car collision near the Small City Market.
• On April 7 warned an Ice House Court resident that his accumulated trash was in violation of a city ordinance.
• On April 7 ticketed a driver for traveling on the left side of the centerline after police received a complaint that his car had run another car off the road.
• On April 8 went to Route 22A in Addison to help VSP by directing traffic around an overturned tractor-trailer unit.
• On April 8 went to Northlands Job Corps after two female students made threats against the center; the students were dismissed from the program.
• On April 8 responded to a one-vehicle crash on MacDonough Drive.
• On April 8 helped motorists get into their locked cars on Thomas Circle and Main Street.
• On April 9 checked out a report of gunshots on Bowman Road and found no problem.
• On April 9 cited Rosemarie Jones, 41, of Vergennes for retail theft; Jones allegedly stole children’s pain medication.
• On April 9 helped the Vergennes Area Rescue Squad at a Third Street call.
• On April 9 issued no-trespass orders to a juvenile male after receiving a complaint he had been stalking a juvenile female.
• On April 9 found a resident’s grandson after he had been reported missing from his Vergennes home.
• On April 10 went to School Street to pick up a truant student and take him to school.
• On April 10 went to a vacant West Main Street home, where a door had popped open; police said they talked to its owner, a bank, about a work order to fix a persistent problem.
• On April 10 took a drunken female Northlands student experiencing convulsions to Porter Hospital for treatment.
• On April 12 helped VARS at a High Street residence.
• On April 12 helped VSP by checking the welfare of a Basin Harbor Road resident in Ferrisburgh; the person was fine.
• On April 12 helped VSP by stopping a car leaving the scene of a Route 7 fight in Ferrisburgh; city police said VSP cited the driver for drunken driving.